Monday, February 2, 2009

Jackie O: Megapod?

So I'm re-reading Carol Channing's charming book of memoirs, Just Lucky I Guess (admit it - not at all a surprise, is it?), and a detail leapt out at me: Miss Channing - not a tiny gal herself - claims that Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis was the proud posessor of a pair of size 10 1/2 feet.

Beyond the fact that back in my wilder days I possessed more than a couple pair of fabulous pumps in just that size, it struck me as so unlikely. Photo evidence is hard to come by. Based on this photo of the great lady with her mealticket second husband (who was a tiny gal, as it were), her clodhoppers were easily the size of his, if possibly narrower.

I don't know what to think, or why, really, I find this so potentially disturbing.

1 comment:

  1. "Jackie Style" fairly rigorous style-biography by Pamela Clarke Keogh has her feet at being either 10 or 10.5.
    It surprised me too until I remembered that feet often grown during pregnancy and Jackie carried She carried four pregnancies. At 5'7" having largish feet wouldn't be strange, add a size or two for the babies and it's not hard to get to 10.5

    ReplyDelete