Thursday, March 5, 2009

Just for Kicks

One of my goals in life is to spend my Golden Years doing something that ensures I remain as flexible as Miss Charlotte Greenwood.

This might, however, be something of a (you should pardon the expression) stretch, as I doubt that - aside from a very brief period sometime during the first Reagan administration - that I was ever as flexible as that lovely lady.

Rarely has a performing artist created such an enduring career out of so singular a gesture, but that high kick (oh, and I supppose her perfect comic timing) kept her in embroidered, full-skirted evening gowns for a very long time...

1 comment:

  1. Dear Charlotte left a career path for non-high kicker Andrea Martin to follow.

    Aunt Eller in Oklahoma was written with Charlotte in mind (Betty Grade played it due to Char's committments in Hollywood), and she played the role on film. Martin played it in 2002 and bagged a Tony nom.

    Charlotte also originated the role of Juno in Out of this World which Martin then played in the 1995 Encores! production of the Cole Porter classic. They both do a swell job singing the comic gem "I Sleep Easier Now."

    If they ever remake Moon Over Miami or Down Argentine Way, I hope someone calls Andrea.

    ReplyDelete