Saturday, July 25, 2009

Summer in the (Wrong) City

Some days I wake up missing Cairo. It's both the place I was happiest, longest (with Manhattan a close second - I was there longer, of course, but not always, by a long shot, happier) and somewhere that forever has a surprise up its sleeve for you.

Our little Sultanal capital is all very well in its quiet way, but especially this time of year, it can be a tad somnolent. It runs short on surprises. That, and it's hotter than billy-be-damned, which doesn't help. Despite its reputation, Cairo, even in the summer time, is no worse than your average southern American city weatherwise (if just a shade sootier), and the evenings are generally deeply beautiful.

Perhaps I shall have to think of some reason to travel...

1 comment:

  1. Gee, I've never even been near there and now I'm missing it too.

    ReplyDelete